STEAM at Miraloma
Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, Math
We highly value teaching STEAM at Miraloma and our teachers integrate these five important disciplines into our classrooms as much as possible. Exciting things are always happening and STEAM news will be shared by classroom teachers and through our weekly newsletter whenever possible.
The resources below are all used to help inform and support our STEAM instruction at Miraloma. Please take a look at the various websites, they're all full of interesting information! If you are interested in supporting your classroom teacher, please connect with her or him directly.
- Chromebooks are used by all 3rd-5th grade students to support all aspects of the curriculum, including online non-fiction current event reading (Newsela) and differentiated math programs (TenMarks). Students also use the computers for typing, writing, collaboration and presentations. Students in the lower grades use iPads to enhance their learning.
- Our full-time Outdoor Science Teacher from Education Outside works with all classes by extending learning into our schoolyard garden. Students observe and investigate the life sciences and develop compassion for the natural world.
- SFUSD Science Department
- The Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS)
- SFUSD's new adopted curriculum for teaching science
- We also love Mystery Science and many teachers use it to supplement our Science lessons
- SFUSD Math Department
- We use Common Sense Media as a tool to teach students digital citizenship
- We celebrate Ocean's Week every year in the Spring. It is a school-wide celebration with various lessons, field trips, projects and activities depending on grade level.
- We teach visual arts and instrumental music in partnership with SFUSD's VAPA Department. Starting in 4th grade, students get the opportunity take instrument lessons (violin, trumpet, flute, or clarinet) on a weekly basis during the school day.
- In partnership with SFArtsEd, students learn Dance in Kindergarten and 1st Grade, Ceramics in 2nd and 3rd Grade, and Drama in 4th and 5th Grade from working artists
- Our 3rd graders work with the SF Opera create their own operas where they write scripts and song lyrics, create sets and costumes and perform at the end of the year.