- Reading STARTS: Tues Jan 23, 2018 @ 2pm
- Reading STOPS: Thur Feb 1, 2018 @ 9pm
- Reading Logs Due: Fri Feb 2, 2018*
- Winners Announced: Week of Feb 5, 2018
* NOTE: Reading logs must be turned in ON TIME and with the logged minutes totaled at the bottom of each sheet (please staple all logs together). If you need extra pages, print the 2nd page multiple times. Only logs with a total and legible, accurate totals can be counted.
What is the Read-a-thon (RAT)?
The Read-a-Thon fosters positive reading habits, promotes literacy and boosts our school’s curriculum. Students log their reading time during a 10 day marathon of reading. Miraloma kids love the sense of accomplishment they get from seeing the number of minutes they have read during this period.
How Does it Work?
During the Read-a-Thon students record all minutes read, both in the classroom and at home. All reading counts: books, newspapers, magazines, graphic novels, internet stories, homework reading, books on tape, etc.!
How Do We Recognize Our Fabulous Readers?
The expectation is for each student to do his/her personal best. In kinder/first, parents may still actively read to students; Second-grade students are encouraged as much independent reading as possible; 4th and 5th grade students should manage their logs with minimal guidance. We recognize all our fabulous readers in many ways!
- All participants will receive a small gift at the end of the Read-a-Thon
- Classrooms with 90%+ participation win a popcorn party
- Top 3 classes earn book fair certificates
- Top 3 students in each grade earn book fair certificates
- Students can also earn individual Dragon Rewards (Champion Bracelets):
- Bronze: 600-895 (1 hour+ per day)
- Silver: 900-1195 (1.5hr+ per day)
- Gold: 1200+ (2hr+ per day)
- Students who read at least 360 minutes will receive one ticket to Six Flags Discovery Kingdom in Vallejo. (Tickets will be delivered by May and can be redeemed during the summer.)
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org