Lice PROCEDURES at Miraloma
- Check regularly for lice:
- We expect each child to be checked at home regularly by their parents/guardians.
- The room parents are responsible to arrange parent volunteers to check for lice in their class on a monthly basis.
- When lice or nits are found on a child:
- Report to the School Secretary and your teacher immediately.
- A school-wide notice will be sent that indicates in which grade(s) lice are found.
- Parents/guardians will receive a call from school and treatment should begin the same day. If live lice are found, then parents will be asked to arrange to pick up their child from school right away.
- We encourage parents to be sensitive when talking about it to/in front of their kids. We do not want the child to feel badly around their peers nor to be ostracized.
Lice Detection, Removal & Prevention
This video shows step 1-2 of the process:
- EVALUATON: Look for lice or nits
- Part the hair all the way down to the scalp in very small sections, looking both for moving lice and eggs (nits). Look at the entire head this way. Look closely around the top of the neck and ears, the most common locations for eggs. (Using a clear conditioner makes combing easier) Treatment is recommended if even one egg is found.
- Comb hair daily with lice & nit removing comb
- Use special lice shampoo/lotion to prevent live lice from reproducing
- Use lice prevention products (oil/spray)
- Comb regularly with lice & nit removing comb
- Wear long hair in ponytail or wear hat (don't share hats!)
- Notify your school, friends, and family immediately if head lice is detected on your child